Browse our a recent demographic sampling for Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties from the U.S. Census Bureau.
While research suggests that attitude plays a more important role than demographics in predicting juror behavior no one can simply ignore factors such as gender, race, age and income in jury selection (or assembling a representative mock jury). Here is a recent demographic sampling for Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties from the U.S. Census Bureau:
- Gender. Both counties tilt slightly more female than male.
- Age. Over 60% of the populace falls between the ages of 18 and 65 in both counties but Pinellas County has significantly more senior citizens (21% of the population vs. 12% in Hillsborough).
- Race. Hillsborough County has a somewhat greater African-American population (18% vs. 11%) as well as a significantly greater Hispanic population (25% vs. 8%).
- Income. The median household income in Pinellas County is $46,00 and in Hillsborough County is $50,000.
- Education of persons over 25. Just under 90% of the population in both counties has a high school education and just under 30% has a college education.